Friday, April 1, 2011

From The Great Redwoods To The Sunny Pacific of Santa Cruz

After leaving Susie's house in Portland, Oregon we headed back to University of Oregon for a quick stop enroute to the Avenue of the Giant Redwood Trees.  By chance we found the football stadium open and with a little encouragement, both John and Alex agreed to a clandestine visit on to the field!

The Duck's Home Turf

After buying more Tshirts we made it to Crescent City, CA by dark and decided to spend the night in a great old 50s/60s retro motel named The Curly Redwood Lodge.  John thinks this place should be on the historic register as a great and classic example of a well preserved 1960s style architecture, complete with all the furniture and furnishings.  I had to pinch myself to be sure I hadn't become my father for the evening.

Our car in front of room 19 at the curly Redwood Lodge



Early the next morning we were on a Highway 101 South undeterred by a mudslide that had wiped out the road just south of the Avenue of the Giants and we were rewarded with the first sight of old growth redwoods for both Alex and me.  These things are over 300 feet tall and among the oldest living things on the planet, over 1000 years old!!



We took our time to drive through the redwoods and followed a detour over a mountain ridge to avoid the washed out roads, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset (sorry no picture, it was a long day and my iPhone battery gave up the ghost).  Arrived in Los Gatos to the spectacular hospitality of Chris and Lynn Sands.

That brings me to today, April 1st, when we enjoyed a tasty mexican lunch, lounging on the deck of the house and a drive to downtown Santa Cruz where we were treated to a remarkable display of surfing and California beach culture....Humm, I think I will try some surfing tomorrow.  Spencer has offered to give me lessons and I need the exercise.

Old Santa Cruz Surfer Dude Using Green Transportation

Local Santa Cruz Hipsters
I felt a need to check out the competition in preparation for my lesson
As the day ended we headed back to Chris's for a crab dinner.  My sister-in-law Judy, Dean and Rusty joined us.  We had a great meal and enjoyed each other's company and conversation.

I have yet to move eastward on this trip, or to reach one new high point, but chill dude, this is California, don't ruin the vibe by putting pressure on me.  I will move toward those goals when the time is right.  In the meantime maybe I will enjoy a local burger?

No comments:

Post a Comment