Saturday, April 2, 2011

From Coast To Toast



Today I had my first surfing lesson from Spencer Sands.  He was a great teacher.  We surfed in Santa Cruz which is an historic center of surfing.  On the way to the beach, Spencer explained the steps involved in finding a wave that can be surfed.  Turns out we went at high tide.  For you surfing novices, that is not good if you want to catch a good wave because waves form near the beach as the force changes direction by hitting the ocean floor and breaking across the beach.  Hence deeper water is not good for wave formation....Did I get that right Spencer?

I rented a wet suit and a board at the Arrow Surf and Sport Shop.  For those of you unfamiliar with the area, this is the recommended place to go.  It is way less expensive than places near the beach, the guys are friendly, they surf and are knowledgeable about all things surfing related.

Spencer and me ready to hit the surf
I wish I could say I was a surfing prodigy, as I had hoped, but it was only a fantasy.  I spent an hour and a half of zen filled bliss at one with the ocean, but the combination of inferior wave forms and inadequate shoulder muscles led to the inability to paddle like a bat out of hell and jump to my feet riding the wave.
However, I did master the technique for paddling the board to the spot where Spencer caught a wave and I was able to sit comfortably on the board in a rolling surf without falling off.   Spencer tells me that this is good progress for the time I spent.  I know it was good exercise.  I used muscles that I did not know I had.  I may not have gotten on my feet this time, but it was still a great experience and I have not given up hope of catching a future wave.

Really, that is me sitting on the board and looking for the perfect wave!
Alas, I had to call it a day, having expended maximum effort and reaching my "flame out" point.  We paddled in and bailed via a set of steep and wet moss covered stairs near the rocky shore, not a simple method, but I survived!

Showing Dean how "pumped" I got.
The support crew, Dean John, Chris and Josie helped us pack up our boards and refueled us with soda pop and fish tacos.  We then returned to Los Gatos to watch the final four battle it out for a chance at the NCAA Championship Game.  You must be saying, "how could your day have been more eventful and exciting".

Well take a look.

Yes, there are two firemen on the roof of Chris and Lynn's house
And that is one of two big fire trucks that arrived in response to our  911 call

It began innocently enough, the steaks were ready to grill, I was preparing the salad, but as the fire was being lite in the fireplace, the creosote in the chimney ignited, an unfriendly and unwelcome fire began to rage and climb to the roof.  So, we did what all responsible men do.  We called 911 and climbed on the roof with a garden house to save the house....The firemen soon arrived in support and the house remains unscathed.  The steaks and salad were delicious.  The games were exciting.  And I am going to bed with the confident feeling that I had enough excitement for one day.  Tomorrow I had back east via Route 40 or thereabouts.
Lame attempt to make a cool surfer dude gesture, sorry Spencer.

No comments:

Post a Comment