Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Half Dome: More Details

I'm in Berkeley now with some time to spare while I continue my training for Mt. Rainier.  I just found the cable for my good camera and I have some great photos to share from my climb up Half Dome on May 30th.

Look carefully at the top to see the climbers!

I arrived in Yosemite Valley about noon on May 29th, but I had not made reservations for a campsite.  Not a smart way to begin to climb Half Dome.  But, I was fortunate to get a cancelation for a camp site given to me by a very nice couple who we had been talking with while waiting in line.  I shared my good fortune with Andrew and Richard, two young seminary students I met while waiting for news about open campsites.

At daylight on May 30th I was up and out of the truck that Chris Sands had lent to me, I slept in the truck in lieu of setting up a tent.  One other hiker began the trail with me at about 5:45 am, but shortly thereafter I was hiking alone and remained alone on the trail until I toped out on Nevada Falls.

On top of Nevada Falls

Nevada Falls

Shortly after I began to climb to Little Yosemite Valley I struck up a quick friendship with a family who climbs Half Dome each year.  They were a  great encouragement as I pondered the full impact of a 17 mile round trip hike with nearly 5000 feet of elevation gain.

In Little Yosemite Valley with Half Dome in background
The climb went remarkably fast, I was in much better shape than anticipated.  Soon I had outpaced the family I'd met and was cruising for "quarter dome".  I arrived there at 11:00 am and had a bite to eat before starting up the most difficult parts of the climb.


When I got to the top of quarter dome I met up again with Greg who I had begun the climb with in the parking lot that morning.

Greg on quarter dome with the cables to Half Dome visible in the background
At this point with both put on our gloves and summoned our courage for the ascent up the cable.  No pictures here, too busy holding on and concentrating until we made the top.  However, on the way I was known to give out a wolf call or two, partly as a result of a young "wolf pack" of climbers who accompanied us to the top, one of whom then interviewed me for a potential story in a Danish newspaper.  Details will be included on this blog if the story is ever published.



The "wolf pack" planking on top of Half Dome
A salute to my friends in Keene Valley from atop Half Dome
I took my time on the descent to meditate, enjoy the magnificent views, and listen to the waterfalls.  Yosemite Valley is an extraordinary piece of this planet!

Vernal Falls
Vernal Falls
I was fortunate on reaching the campground that evening to have a group of climbers offer me a place to stay again for the night.  The next day I was up and off toward Tioga Pass and then on to Placerville to meet my friend Dean.  I stopped long enough in the Tioga Pass to climb to nearly 13, 000 feet on Mt. Dana for a  bit of exercise, and see a black bear in the process!  Sorry no picture of the bear, he ran too fast.  Yes he did, not me.

Lunch break spot on Mt. Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment