Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mt Lafayette

This pretty much tells the story of my preparation for this climb
Zach was headed up to Boston to visit Chris, so I figured it was a good excuse for renting a car, driving to New Hampshire and climbing a mountain.  While it was not a "high point", the ranger suggested that Mt. LaFayette was a good training hike for future higher points.  He was right.  It was over 5000 feet.  I carried a 40 lb back pack to make it more challenging and I made it my goal to make at least 1000 feet of elevation gain every hour.  I am proud to say that I met my goal on my solo climb up Mt LaFayette.  This coffee shop served as my base and "fueling station" before and after.  It was beautiful.  I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

You can see that visibility at the top of the mountain was limited to about 30 yards and the windchill was in the single digits, not bad for January at the top of the Franconia Ridge.  Being alone and without GPS, I stopped about 400 yards from the summit when it seemed likely I might not find it, or my way back, if I went further.

a beautiful wintry, steep and icy trail

My googles froze on the upper part of the mountain.  Another learning experience!

There's the trail!
Gone
Ah, that's better.  On my way down again by Greenleaf AMC Hut

Is that a trail marker or a frozen bear?



success!
A last snack at the coffee shop before I go home.
I am very happy to report that all of my exercise is paying off.  The climb was quite manageable.  My big challenge on this was climbing safely, solo!  The solitude was wonderful, but I am a man seeking a climbing partner.  I'll be back to the Whites this winter. but first a stop for some ice climbing on the weekend of January 20th with the American Alpine Club in the Adirondacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment